Free anti-virus software
Keep yourself safe by installing a free software available online
There is a huge number of Internet users out there who surf the web without having an anti virus program installed on their computers. They are susceptible to virus attacks. According to antivirus maker, Avira, almost 750,000 viruses are detected every month and yet nineteen percent of the Internet users still think that there is not much risk in unprotected surfing.
Computers are under daily threat from viruses, Trojans and worms. Protecting your computer from them is critical for the health of your computer.You need to have a reliable anti-virus software installed on your PC, and also update it regularly. There are a number of anti-virus software available for free online.
Choose an anti-virus software that is suited for computer and surfing needs. Ideally, the anti-virus software should provide protection from viruses, spyware, rootkit, spam and should have firewall, safe downloading, safe search and email protection. Some of the reliable and free anti-virus software are:
1. Avira AntiVir Personal – This free software provides protection to your system from viruses, Trojans and worms. The functions include the protection against dialers, the hidden rootkits and phishing. If you need more security features, you will have to buy the Avira software.
2. Comodo Antivirus – It detects and removes viruses from networks and systems. It claims to take very less system resources when it is running.
3. AVG – AVG Anti-virus Free Edition is for personal use for one computer at home and is not meant for commercial purposes. It provides protection against viruses and spyware. It is quite easy to download, install and then use. This software is compatible with Windows XP and Windows Vista. It is quite popular and provides good protection most malware.
4. avast! antivirus 4.x Home Edition: This Windows-compatible software can be easily downloaded from the Internet for home and non-commercial use. It protects your valuable data and programs and installs updates automatically. The advantage with avast! is that it also provides anti-spyware and anti-rootkit protection for Windows unlike other anti-virus software that do not provide these features with their free editions.
5. ClamWin: This is another free anti-virus software for Windows. It is compatible with MS Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003 and Vista. It is easy to install and features high detection for virus and other spyware. It has a scan scheduler and automatic update facility also. It can also be integrated to Microsoft Windows Explorer. However, it does not have on-access real time scanner; files have to be scanned manually to detect any threat.
These anti-virus programs are free and provide you the much needed protection against malicious software that can destroy your files and computers.